Monday 28 July 2014

Midnight Thief

****
4 Stars/5


Kyra has grown up on Forge’s streets and with her ability to scale walls and avoid the attention of guards, she is able to take what she needs to survive. When James, the leader of the Assassin’s Guild, offers her a job to help them steal from The Palace, she agrees but struggles against the guilds rules and James, who is darkly alluring. Tristam is a young knight who is on a mission to stop Demon Riders after they murdered his best friend. Fate causes Kyra and Tristam to work together but when a secret from Kyra’s past is revealed, it reshapes both of their lives forever.

Midnight Thief is a really good classic fantasy book with a story full of action and unlike most YA is not focused on romance. I could not put this book down and I liked that the good and bad guys were not clear cut.

When I started reading this I thought I would be bored with Kyra as she is very similar to a lot of fantasy heroines, as she is an orphan who has learned to live on the streets, but I really liked her as she is intelligent, protective and while not all of her decisions were the best, she made them as well as she could, based on the situation. Tristam is brave, clever, and moral, and is willing to help people know matter who they are. There are lots of secondary characters, such as James, Flick, Bella and Malikel, and they are all really well written as I feel like I understand them.


This book does not come across as a debut novel and I am looking forward to the next book. I would recommend Midnight Thief to people who enjoy really good fantasy books and those who enjoyed the prequel novella, Poison Dance.

No comments:

Post a Comment