Friday 31 January 2014

The Pearl

***
3 Stars/5


Thanks to Sandra Martinez for giving me this book to review.

18 year old Elearah is traveling to the Spirit Mountains with her father figure, Balian, and their guide for the land of Huo, Mika. Elearah is an unusual girl as she has an amulet inside her with the consciousness of a new god called Pearl. After being attacked by vampires and called upon by the Duke of Bian-Jing, these three travellers are caught up in the war between the Golden Dragon and the Snake.

The Pearl is an enjoyable fantasy book, which is inspired by ancient china, and is full of quests, adventure and politics. However, I did find it a bit confusing at some points and hard to follow.

I liked Elearah as she was nice and Balian as he was very wise and caring, and obviously loves both Elearah and Pearl. I really like Mika as he had a fascinating back story. Pearl reminded me, for the most of the book, of a more responsible and innocent Simi from The Dark-Hunter series.


I would The Pearl to fans of Eon by Alison Goodman and Fire and Thorns by Rae Carson.

No comments:

Post a Comment