Sunday 23 December 2012

Pantomime


***
3 Stars/5



Thanks to Netgalley and Angry Robot for giving me this book to review.

In Ellada, R. H. Ragona’s Circus of Magic wishes to create the wonder of the mysterious civilization which disappeared leaving only the glowing blue Penglass. Micah Grey is a runaway who wishes to join the circus as an aerialist and he wants to be accepted by the rest of the people in the circus. Gene Laurus is nobleman’s daughter who much prefers climbing trees and playing with her brother’s friends than going to dances and shopping for dresses. But both Micah and Gene have a secret which means they feel they don’t belong anywhere.

Laura Lam has written a very unique book, with a twist that I did not see coming. However the blurb does not describe Pantomime as it really is and they could describe more without giving much away. The pacing of the book is slow and while I was bored at some points during the book it held my attention enough.

The story Lam has written is very descriptive and you can easily imagine you are actually there in the circus. Where this this story falls story for me is the characters as I felt I could not connect with any of them. Also I could have done with more fantasy as there were little bits but mostly it was hinted at.

However, I am looking forward to the next book to see what happens next and to understand more about the magic in Ellada. I would recommend this to people who like unique YA fantasy.

No comments:

Post a Comment